Meet golf's new 'Master:' Jordan Spieth rolls at Augusta

Jordan Spieth did something over the weekend I did not think was possible.

He made the Masters boring.

There are very few sporting events that year after year provide the kind of drama that unfolds on the picture-perfect landscape of Augusta National, where golf's first major of the year takes place every year.

That's one of the reasons for the old saying, "The Masters doesn't start until the back nine on Sunday." Not this year. Spieth, the 21-year-old Texas wunderkind, led wire to wire, something that has not been done since Raymond Floyd did it back in 1976.

I actually thought Spieth might be in the midst of a classic hiccup at the end of his Saturday round. After a double bogey on 17, he left himself in an impossible situation short side behind a bunker on 18. He was staring at another bogey and the possibility of breathing life into those he had left gasping for air most of the weekend.

Instead, Spieth hit the perfect flop shot, then calmly drained the putt to save par. Game, set and match.

He was never seriously challenged on Sunday. No one got closer than three shots.

Spieth won by four strokes, and missed a 5-foot putt on 18 that would have given him the record for low score in the Masters. Instead he had to settle for a tie at 270 with another guy you might have heard of. His name is Tiger Woods. Actually, I should probably thank Spieth.

On Masters Sunday, I am usually hunkered down in front of the TV.

But this was one of the very first beautiful days we've had after a miserable winter, and I just couldn't bring myself to being inside all day. So I headed for the yard to do some work and get some sun. I revisited the back patio, which I had not seen since last November. I could have sworn I raked up all those leaves. So where did all those piles on the patio come from?

I had the Phils on the radio and ducked inside once in awhile to see if Spieth would pull a Greg Norman, another other worldly collapse.

The only thing other worldly about Spieth is his game.

Get used to hearing this kid's name.

Adios, Tiger. Move over, Rory.

He just might be the new face of golf.

Comments