Spring arrives - it's time for Tiger & the Masters

Forget what your calendar told you.

Spring starts today.

It's the first day of the Masters.

Even if you're not the golf nut I am, you've probably heard about this annual harbinger of spring, when the eyes of the sports world turn to a spectacular array of azaleas, magnolias and the majestic landscape of the Augusta National Golf Club. It's the first of golf's four major championships, and the only one played on the same track every year. But it's more than that. It's an annual rite, proof that winter is finally over. And for us in the Northeast, the view of Augusta in full bloom is reassurance that things soon will start growing again, the color will return to our lives after another long, bleak, gray winter.

Believe me, it's on my bucket list to some day drive down Magnolia Lane and witness this sports event.

For now, I will have to settle for being planted in front of my TV most of the weekend.

Year in and year out, Sunday at the Masters provides some of the best drama in sports.

Of course, I also will be pulling for my guy.

Maybe you've heard of him.

His name is Tiger Woods.

Unlike many who have reveled in the fall of a sports icon, I still have hope that Tiger still has something in the tank, and can once again take up his pursuit of Jack Nicklaus' record 18 major championship titles.

There was some concern whether Tiger even would make it onto the Masters' stage. His personal problems are now well-known. In recent years, injuries have taken their toll. He tried to come back earlier this year and clear was not ready. He withdrew from the golf scene, and - to the surprise of many - resurfaced this week at Augusta.

I'm not surprised.

And I hope Tiger plays well.

Hell, I might as well admit it. I hope Tiger wins. I always do.

For most weeks, golf is just golf. All the players look the same and play the same. They hit the ball outlandish distances and in general play a game with which I am not familiar.

This might be heresy to the purists, but the truth is most weeks the tour stop is boring.

Tiger is never boring.

When he's on the leaderboard on the weekend, it's no longer just golf. It's an event.

People who don't know a birdie from a bogey tune in.

Tiger is a show.

I might go so far as to say that Tiger IS golf.

Yes, I know how good Rory McIlroy is. I understand how many good, young golfers are now on the tour.

None of them is Tiger.

Most don't expect him to make the cut. I wouldn't be so sure. His short game, which caused him so much trouble when he returned earlier this year, is said to be better.

Of course, that's during a practice round. Once they tee it up this morning with the ceremonial starters of Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player, things will be just a bit different.

I would not put it past Tiger to make some noise.

Like I said, he's a show.

And Augusta National is one of the biggest stages in sports.

Let spring begin.

Comments