The Mariota watch

Three days and counting.

What do you think is the over-under on the number of times the name Marcus Mariota comes up in conversations around Philly this week. I'm setting the line at about 1,000. I'm taking the over.

I really don't have any idea what Chip Kelly is thinking. I think that's the way the Eagles coach likes it. He does not appear to be a big fan of the media. He does the absolute minimum in terms of getting information out to the public.

I guess I have a bias in that regard. I'm in the business of digging out information. He's in the business of winning football games.

Those desires are not always compatible.

For now we will simply sit and wait. And talk, of course.

Kelly has praised Mariota, the quarterback he brought to the University of Oregon to run his souped-up offense. Kelly has indicated that he expects Mariota to win 'multiple' Super Bowls. He also has indicated he has no plans to 'mortgage the future' of the Eagles in his efforts to trade up to put the Eagles in position to draft the QB he clearly covets.

But I wouldn't put it past him.

Here's one way to look at it. The Eagles have spent a lifetime - mine - doing things the standard, by the book way. That has resulted in exactly zero Super Bowl trophies making their way to Philly. Parades? Nada.

Maybe it's time to mortgage the future. If Kelly really thinks Mariota is the perfect guy to run his offense, and fully expects him to win 'multiple' Super Bowls, why not do it here.

Go ahead, Chip.

Pull the trigger.

Comments