Why I won't boo Ryan Howard

Ryan Howard and Chase Utley are pushing their luck.

I have a personal policy when it comes to them, as well as Jimmy Rollins, Cole Hamels, and Carlos Ruiz. I don't boo them. That's getting more and more difficult to do.

Howard and Utley are, to put it politely, struggling to start the season. Howard in particular has become the target of Philly's boo birds. He was showered with abuse Sunday at Citizens Bank Park after taking a less than classic "Golden Sombrero," striking out four times, several times with runners in scoring position.

He was at it again on Monday in New York as the Phils wasted a great outing by new addition Aaron Harang, who gave up just four hits and one run over six innings.

But it's kind of hard to win when you don't score. The Phils got shut out for the second time in seven games with the season still in its infancy.

A big part of the problem is the impotence of the middle of the lineup, where Howard and Utley reside.

Jack McCaffery was in the Big Apple yesterday as Howard went 1-for-4, actually raising his batting average to .167. Utley was not any better. Combined the once powerful pair of left-hand hitters went 1-for-7 vs. the Mets. Utley is now hitting .091.

Look, I would not complain if Howard and Utley were playing elsewhere. It's probably time. For that I fault GM Ruben Amaro Jr. But I will not boo them.

Why?

It's simple. They did something very few Philly athletes can claim.

They gave us a parade. They won. I have not forgotten what that felt like back in 2008.v For those who insist on haranguing Howard, I would remind them that the Phillies do not hoist that trophy without him in the middle of that lineup, before the Achilles' problems that have turned him into a shell of the player that was one of the most feared home run hitters in the league.

That's the nature of the game.

If fans want to boo, that is their right.

But I won't.

I remember 2008.

Comments