Yes, regarding this principal, it's a matter of principle

Before all you English teachers - as well as the good nuns of the Sisters Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary - throw up their hands and ask if I've forgotten all that they so lovingly - and at times not so lovingly - drilled into me, I am aware that some might think our front page today contains a huge error.

Yes, I am aware that some people might be getting a chuckle in thinking that the editor of the Daily Times once again displayed his ignorance of the human language by using the wrong word in huge type as part of our lead headline.

It's right there in print for all to see. Hey, Mr. Editor, you knucklehead, don't you know you used the wrong 'principal' there.

Well, actually I did. And didn't.

I understand that most times when making that kind of statement, the correct word would be principle, a bedrock belief.

But remember what this is story is about, an embattled school official in Rose Tree Media School District.

That's why I used the sound alike word principal.

That's called a homonym, a word that sounds the same, but has a different meaning. And if it's been awhile since you've heard anyone use the word homonym, you've probably forgotten more English usage than I have.

Comments