Great teachers, great students

I used my print column this week to talk about teachers. And also about young people. I used to think teaching was a piece of cake. Then my son became a high school English teacher. It certainly opened my eyes. I had been told by any number of teachers that their first year was brutal. They weren't kidding.

I also touched on the idea of "good news,: especially when it comes to young people.

I am always asked why there is some much bad news in the Daily Times, in particular when it comes to young people. The answer is really pretty simple. That's what people read. And that is what's news. People doing what they are supposed to do is not necessarily news.

A lot of people don't understand that. They all clamor for more "good" stories. Then they ignore them. Want to get news about your kids in the paper, I often respond when asked by people how to get their kids' names and faces in the paper?

Let them do something wrong.

Having said that, I also know it's very easy to give a skewed view of young people. Most of them are doing good things. That often doesn't make the paper.

That's why last Thursday night was so important to me. It was the annual Partners in Education gala at the Drexelbrook, where we join with Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union in honoring the All-Delco Hi-Q team, as well as this year's winners of the Excellence in Teaching Awards.

Great news about teachers and young people.

It allows me to tackle two very sensitive topics in a positive way.

We will have endless stories on the so-called "School of Hard Knocks." This was a look at all those positive things that often fail to make the paper.

Comments