Marcus Belgrave, pride of Chester

A shout-out today to my friend and longtime, loyal reader Eleanor Nealy of Trainer.

She left me a voice-mail to alert me to something that was in the paper on Monday.

Since it was the Memorial Day holiday, many people might have missed it. I'll repeat it here for a couple of reasons. One, we always take note when a prominent person passes away.

And Marcus Belgrave certainly was that.

But the famed trumpeter also was a native of Chester. You can read his full obit here.

Eleanor reminded me of something that happens all the time in this crazy business:

Just how many things revert back to Chester.

Even this newspaper, the Daily Times, can trace its roots back to the Chester Times.

Eleanor told me Belgrave was a protege and student of the great Robert E. Vaughan, the legendary Chester music teacher who spent 35 years in the music programs in Chester schools.

Eleanor also pointed out that Belgrave also played with her sister in the band that performed at the Salvation Army.

She also noted something else that is too often forgotten, the common theme that runs through all of these stories:

Education.

It's that important, and that's why is remains at the heart of so many of Chester's problems.

"This is just another case of education coming through," Nealy said.

I think Marcus Belgrave and Robert Vaughan would agree.

Comments