The best night of the year

Last night was the best night of the year.

No, not because of the NFL Draft.

Unless you do what I do for a living, you have no idea what it means to stand in a room full of 600 people, all of whom are saying nice things about the newspaper.

Making it even rarer, most of these people were educators. They are not always our biggest fans.

Last night it was my honor once again to attend the Partners in Education gala at the Drexelbrook. I was there to help hand out awards to this year's All-Delco Hi-Q team and the winners of the Excellence in Teaching Awards. You can read about it here.

What it won't tell you is the struggle I deal with every day, trying not to offer a skewed image of young people - and education in Delco.

It is the same thing I talk about all the time. Good news vs. bad news, and how to balance the two.

It was an honor for me to take part in this great night. We awarded 21 great kids with placques commemorating their selection as part of this year's All-Delco Hi-Q team. I will be forever grateful to Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union boss John Unangst and former Delaware County Intermediate Unit chief Harry Jamison for approaching me with the idea of using our awards for kids who excel in high school sports and expanding it to those who do likewise in the classroom.I still find it hard to believe it was 10 years ago. Hi-Q is the nation's oldest academic quiz competition. These kids literally are our best and brightest.

We also handed out awards to 19 teachers who received the Excellence in Teaching Awards.

I can't wait until next year.

Comments