Thinking about a daughter and Amtrak

My daughter, the hotshot D.C. lawyer, is coming home this weekend to attend the wedding shower of a college friend.

She always rides Amtrak to Philly.

She would have switched trains at 30th Street - but I still shudder when I think of it.

Last night a train from D.C. to New York derailed in Philly, leaving a scene called by Mayor Michael Nutter a ‘disastrous mess.’

As I watched the horrific images of people walking away from the wreckage, all I could see was my daughter’s face.

She does not drive. She is committed to mass transit.

I got the same feeling a few months ago when there was a fire in the Metro in downtown D.C. She takes the Metro every day.

I don’t know if Amtrak will be back up and running by the weekend after last night’s deadly derailment in Philadelphia.

Train 188 going from Washington to New York carrying 238 passengers veered off the tracks in Frankford, killing six and sending 140 to local hospitals.

She is an environmental lawyer. She is committed to all things ‘green.’

I wish she would start driving.

At this point I don’t know if she will get home this weekend or not.

Things like this don’t see to faze her. I guess that is the courage of youth.

I wish she could share some of it with her scared-to-death dad.

Comments