Welcome to the world of breaking news online

There are days that I love the Internet and days that I loathe the Internet.

This morning I am experiencing both.

Let me explain.

You want to be a newspaper editor who also is manning a daily website? This is what greeted me when I arrived in the office in the pre-dawn hours this morning:

* A fatal shooting in Chester in which several other people were wounded in a hail of at least 30 bullets fire.

* A fire that damaged an apartment and business in Radnor.

* Flames that roared through a twin home in Clifton Heights. Luckily, it appears as if everyone escaped the inferno.

* The arrest of a man for two incidents in which women were groped in Radnor and Media.

And here I thought the only news this morning would be our lead story in the print edition, the discovery of a body in a suitcase late Thursday afternoon in Tinicum.

Obviously, the Chester shooting and two fires occurred too late for our print edition. You won't find them in the paper you may be caressing over your morning coffee.

There was a time - not that long ago - when we would not have been able to deliver this news for 24 hours - our next print edition. Ovbviously, those days are gone.

Thanks to the Internet, I quickly managed to cobble information together on all these incidents and quickly post them to our website. Our busy photographer Tom Kelly IV managed to get us photos from both fires as well as the Chester shooting.

In a manner of minutes I assembled the basic information and posted the stories and photos.

Speed is now an important part of the business of delivering news. It's essential to get this information to readers as quickly as possible, and on as many platforms as possible.

Boom! We delivered the news to our readers on Twitter, Facebook as well as DelcoTimes.com.

We will update those stories throughout the day, and then compile all that information again for our print edition tomorrow.

Yep, I love all this technology.

I think.

Comments