A Saturday to remember

There used to be a time when you would use the weekend to recharge the batteries.

But the 24-hour news cycle doesn't really respect weekends all that much.

Put away the laptop?

Not exactly.

Take Saturday, for instance.

All that was going on Saturday was the moving funeral service for Beau Biden in Wilmington, a bid for the Triple Crown - something that had not been done in 37 years - by American Pharoah at the Belmont, and two Delco teams seeking state lacrosse titles.

Yeah, I was parked in front of my laptop a lot more than I probably wanted to on Saturday.

First things first: If you did not have some tears in your eyes while watching the service for Beau Biden, you might want to check your pulse.

I've already been on the record that I'm not all that big a Joe Biden fan. I think I might change that. That's because I watched his kids talk about their brother on Saturday. You want family values? All you have to do is watch those speeches.

Before they spoke, President Obama gave an eloquent summation of what it means to be a citizen these days. That would be Beau Biden, citizen, soldier, elected official, patriot.

A few hours later, I was back in front of the laptop updating our website with word that we had two new state champions. The Garnet Valley girls rallied from a first-half deficit to top Conestoga, while the Radnor boys prevailed over Saint Joe Prep.

Then it was time for the main event.

In the sport of kings, American Pharoah was in fact royalty, breaking a 39-year drought by winning the Belmont Stakes and becoming the first Triple Crown winner since Affirmed in 1978.

Quite a Saturday.

Comments