I'll be honoring dad this weekend

Here's a sneak peek at my Monday column.

I will be saluting my father on Saturday? Yes, I'm jumping the gun on Father's Day.

How, you might ask, will I honor dad.

I will watch the Belmont Stakes.

American Pharoah is a mile and a half, and seven other horses, away from immortality. He will go for the Triple Crown at the New York track, traditionally called the "Graveyard of Champions," because its length routinely beats down horses who have won the first two legs of the Triple Crown.

So far Pharoah has won the Kentucky Derby and rolled in the slop to victory at the Preakness in Baltimore.

But this will be his biggest challenge.

I first heard the phrase 'Graveyard of Champions' in referring to the Belmont from my father.

Which is to say, he liked the ponies.

More on that on Monday.

For the details on the Belmont, click here.

Comments