One more rite of summer

Summer is upon us.

I know that not because Memorial Day is becoming a distant memory in the rear-view mirror. And yes, I am aware that the calendar stresses that while we in fact have hit June, summer does not officially arrive until the 21st.

For me, it arrived last night.

There is almost nothing better than lying in bed listening to the glory of nature during a summer thunderstorm. We got our first real taste of it last night.

There is a sense of security, know that you are safe and sound, tucked into bed, while Mother Nature provides a rollicking soundtrack. Making it even better - at least for me - is that our air-conditioning is on the fritz. With a hot-humid weekend, we opened the windows, all the better to enjoy the pounding rain, gushing gutters bursting at the seams, spectactular flashes of lightning and the cacophony of thunder.

Ever since I was a kid, I've loved lying in bed during a big-time thunderstorm.

Today, it reminds of those carefee days.

Of course, this morning we're paying for those storms in a bit less glorious way. The roads are a mess. The Blue Route was actually shut down northbound between Baltimore Pike and Broomall by flood water. Standing water also is causing problems on I-95.

Bring on summer. And the storms that come with it.

Comments