Pa. inches closer to getting out of booze business

Something happened in Harrisburg yesterday that has never happened before.

No, not Gov. Tom Wolf vetoing the GOP budget plan. Nothing new about that, even if it hasn't in about 40 years.

Folks, raise your glasses.

The Senate voted to get Pennsylvania out of the booze business.

Yes, both the Senate and House passed legislation to privatize the sale of wine and alcohol in Pennsylvania.

So what does it all mean?

Well, for right now, it doesn't mean a thing. That's in part because Wolf opposes privatization. But last night he said he would not immediately veto the privatization plan, along with a GOP-backed pension bill.

I'm interested in what exactly the privatization bill does.

In short, if you're waiting for super stores to rush into Pennsylvania, you might be disappointed.

I know that I have been the state's primary proponent of getting Pa. out of the booze business for years. I used to joke with former state Rep. Ron Raymond, who headed the liquor control committee, that I would volunteer to push the plunger to blow up the hated LCB system and the idea of state stores.

What I have always wanted is simply what consumers in other states have - convenience. I want to be able to go to one place - preferably at the same time I am buying my groceries - and buy my beer, wine or spirits.

I want to be able to duck into the local Wawa on the way home and grab a cold six-pack.

I'd like to see stores such as Total Wine just over the border in Claymont offer their spectacular variety here in Pa.

I'm still not sure this bill will do that.

Here are some of the things it will do:

* If they so desire, beer distributors can add wine and liquor to their offerings, making the idea of one-stop shopping a possibility. But they won't be able to sell six-packs. Instead they will still be limited to selling cases and the recently won right to sell 12-packs. For a six-pack you will still have to go to a bar or deli, or a supermarket that sells beer.

* Speaking of those supermarkets, those that have beer licenses now would be able to add liquor and wine to their offerings.

* The bars and taverns that sell takeout would be able to add liquor and wine.

* The current state stores won't necessarily go out of business. They likely will remain until the state determines that an area is being adequately served by private enterprise. Profitability of the state stores also will be taken into consideration.

* Also, state stores will not start selling beer, which in a way would also have resulted in one-stop shopping.

I am guessing that, in terms of the supermarkets, some of the current problematic logistics would stay in place. You will still have to visit a separate part of the store and pay for your items there, as opposed to simply putting the items in your cart and paying for them with the rest of your groceries.

The ball is now in Gov. Wolf's court.

I am guessing all of this becomes a pawn in the state's budget war. I find it interesting that Wolf - who has long opposed privatization - did not immediately veto it last night.

That tells me he might be willing to give in on something the GOP clearly wants, perhaps in return for them giving in on some of his budget plans.

I'll hold off on a toast for now, but it's closer than Pennsylvania has ever gotten to getting out of the booze business.

Sip, Sip, Hooray!

Comments