The case against air-conditioning

What a difference 24 hours makes.

If you have not been outside yet, and I am assuming most of you are a bit more sane than me and in fact are still hugging the covers, it feels more like late September out there than mid-July.

And even more so after the last couple of soupy days.

Of course, I again have to admit that I actually LIKE that kind of weather.

In fact, I HATE to come inside, because I hate air-conditioning. It's the bane of my existence. I wait faithfully all winter and spring through all the cold and shivering, only to be greeted by the whirr of those air-conditioners as soon as there is a hint of warm temperatures.

In the office, I often find myself checking to see if I can catch my breath. That's how cold it is. My hands often feel like popsicles. I find myself going outside to warm up.

It's the same at home, although the house doesn't get nearly as cold.

I still would rather lie in bed with just a sheet - maybe nothing - covering me with the windows open, than be huddling under the covers in air-conditioned "comfort."

In the car, I am routinely the only person riding home at night with his window open. Everyone else is tightly ensconced inside their frosty vehicles.

Granted, this is not a widely-held opinion. My co-workers always blame me when a heat wave hits, they know I exult in heat and humidity.

At home, my family presses their faces up against the sliding glass doors to check on my as I sit out on the deck, drenched in my own sweat, alone with my thoughts - and the cicadas. Every once in awhile they crack open the door to see if I am still breathing.

So I want to know, am I the only one that feels this way.

Let's see a show of hands.

I hate air-conditioning. Who's with me?

Comments