60 is the new 59

Well, a few hours into it and I can report that 60 does not feel terribly different than 59 did - except for the space between my ears.

Thanks for everyone for the huge outpouring of birthday wishes on social media. It's been a little overwhelming.

Actually, part of the reason I've kind of loathed my birthday the last few years has more to do with the season than age.

Sept. 1 signals the end of summer. Kids head back to school. Labor Day marks the unofficial end of summer. Darkness begins to descend even before I can finish the drive home. The sunglasses come off before my car finds its way back into the driveway.

I have said many times that I am a summer guy. Give me a pair of shorts, a T-shirt, a steamy evening and the Phillies on the radio while I sit in my own sweat out on the deck and I'm a happy camper.

Luckily, Mother Nature looks like she's not ready to say goodbye to summer either.

We're looking at a late-summer heat wave this week, with temperatures in the 90s almost all week.

It's almost enough to make me forget that summer is drawing to a close.

Year 59 is now in the books.

Year 60 is just starting to be written.

Life goes on.

Thanks for reading.

Oh, and that photo? That's me and my mother lounging in my Aunt Dot's pool in Hollywood, Fla. I think I was about 22 or 23 in this shot, so this puts it somewhere around 1977 or '78. We were there for the wedding of my cousin. An August wedding in Florida? Yes, it was hot. But as you might guess, I loved it.

Comments