A Fall Classic - that ended at 12:18 a.m.

Don't strain your eyes looking for the story on last night's epic Game One of the World Series in your print edition of the Daily Times this morning.

I apologize for the omission.

Don't hope for the same from Major League Baseball. This is exactly what they wanted, games that are contested in prime time.

Last night they got that and more.

The five-hour classic ended at 12:18 a.m., when Eric Hosmer's sacrifice fly to allowed Alcides Escobar to dash home with the running run in a 5-4 victory for the Royals over the Mets.

They tell me this is one of the great things about the Internet. It's true. You can get all the details from the game here on our website.

That's not my point.

All the games in this World Series will be played at night, meaning it is unlikely I will see a lot of them.

Last night I managed to see the wild inside-the-park homer by Alcides that kicked off this crackling affair. Unfortunately, it's also the last thing I remember before sliding into my nightly coma.

I understand most people do not have my schedule, and likely stayed with this game longer.

But I wonder how many people - at least those who had to be up for work this morning - were still hanging in there as the game rolled past midnight, and well past our print deadline.

Yes, I know we are never going back to the days when I literally risked life and limb - to say nothing of Mother Marie Charles' gold ruler, by sneaking a transistor radio into school to listen to afternoon World Series games.

I remember huddling up before high football practice seeing if anybody had an update on the game that was being played as we went through our paces.

I wonder how many people one day will have similar memories about a game that ended at 12:18 a.m.

Times change.

Maybe not always for the better.

Hey, Game 2 is tonight. And yes, it's unlikely you will see the first pitch before 8:15 or so, exactly what Major League Baseball wants. Could they start the game at 7? Sure, but that's not prime time. So tonight's Game 2 will no doubt stretch close to midnight, once again imperiling out ability to get the game into print.

That's my problem, not baseball's.

I wonder how many people agree with me, or am I just a dinosaur pining for things that are not coming back.

Let me know what you think.

Comments