'A Charlie Brown Christmas' hits the big 5-0

Want to feel old?

This holiday season marks the 50th anniversary of the Christmas classic "A Charlie Brown Christmas."

The show, with sad sack Charlie's search for the true meaning of Christmas, first aired on Dec. 9, 1965.

I think I have seen it most every year since.

My daughter is the resident holiday expert in our household. She always reminds me when our favorites shows are set to air. She was home this weekend and I was the one who alerted her to the special aspect of her boy Charlie Brown this year.

My daughter and I have a word we share for the spirit of the holidays. We call it getting 'imbued.'

For me that means Charlie Brown, the Grinch and the George C. Scott version of 'Scrooge.' No, I don't play the title role, although that has been suggested many times over the years.

My wife decorated the house this weekend, of course with as little help as possible from me, who spent most of the time sitting on the couch watching football.

She has a certain way she likes to decorate, and I ceded that battle long ago. It's her show. I try to stay out of the way. Sunday, we did the outdoor decorations, and I pretty much just shut up and followed directions.

As usual I will likely struggle again this year to understand the Christmas spirit.

No show better represents that dilemma better than "A Charlie Brown Christmas.'

ABC will air a special before tonight's show, hosted by Kristen Bell. Then, at 9, 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' will air for the 50th year.

Joy to the world!

Comments