A coat? No thanks, at least not yet

It should come as a secret to no one that I'm not exactly a fan of winter.

This from a guy who holds a degree from the University of Colorado. But as anyone who has ever spent a winter in the Rockies will tell you, the cold out there is not the same as what we get here.

I know it sounds weird but take my word for it. It has to do with how dry the air out there is. You dress in layers. Every day the sun comes up and makes it fairly enjoyable out. Plus, winter sports - namely skiing - is huge out there, and the sun glare off the snow can give you a sunburn that easily rivals a day at the beach in the summer here.

Don't ask me to explain one of the many oddities about my stint in Colorado, such as the fact that I had never been on skis before I went out there, skied my brains out for the three years I spent out there, but have never been on skis since I came back to the East Coast.

What can I say? I hate winter, at least the East Coast version of it.

That's why I was hard-pressed this week to keep my own personal pledge.

It is my way of hanging on to the last vestiges of summer.

I refuse to don a winter coat until Thanksgiving.

Yeah, I know, it's weird.

I knew I was in trouble when I walked out of the office yesterday for my daily lunchtime sojourn to the local Wawa for a coffee and realized I was freezing. When I left the office last night I was seriously doubting my decision. Then this morning, I donned a blazer and bravely headed out to the car. The thermometer registered a not exactly toast 24 degrees. The heater could not kick in fast enough.

Luckily, the forecast calls for a warmup through Thanksgiving.

Looks like the streak is intact.

Mission accomplished.

Now if only I could fast-forward until May 1.

Endless Summer? I can only dream about it.

Comments