Draining the life from Philly fans

The only thing that amazes me about today's print column is that I wrote it BEFORE yesterday's Eagles' debacle vs. the Bucs.

It's something I have been wondering about for the last couple of years. It hit home last week while I squandered a gorgeous afternoon sitting in front of the TV watching the Eagles stumble and fumble their way to another loss.

But actually it's more than that. I've been wondering why we expend so much emotion on our sports teams, especially when the losses seem to bother us - the fans - much more than the players.

Don't believe it? Did you happen to catch any of the Eagles players yukking it up with the Bucs yesterday while they were getting their backsides handed to them.

The fans live and die with these teams. In Philly these days, we only die. A Philly pro team has not won a home game in November. That's right, we're sitting on an 0-fer.

Yesterday afternoon and again this morning, my stomach was turned by what I saw on that field yesterday.

I wonder how many players feel the same way?

Nick Nolte's character from the classic football movie 'North Dallas Forty' was right.

Time to put away childish things.

Comments