The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick

There’s a part of me that understands exactly what Mark Sanchez was trying to do on that fateful play in the red zone last week against the Dolphins.

Second down at the Dolphins’ 8-yard line. Still 4:32 on the clock in the 4th quarter.

That’s when Sanchez reverted to his M.O. - the killer turnover. Sanchez tried to force the ball into Miles Austin in the end zone, rather than two safer throws.

If nothing else, I believe Sanchez is on a mission to wipe out that label that hangs around his neck - turnover machine. And of course, any memory of the infamous butt fumble.

He wanted to prove that the can deliver in the clutch. Instead, he delivered another killer turnover. I can’t blame him for that.

However, I will admit that up until that point, there is no doubt that the Eagles offense looked much more like the up-tempo blitzkrieg of the last two years, as opposed to the slower version installed for Sam Bradford.

There is also the plain fact that Chip Kelly’s run-option offense simply doesn’t fit Bradford. No one believes for a second that he is going to pull the ball back and run it. It negates the key aspect of Kelly’s attack. Defenses simply ignore Bradford and crash down on the running backs. All Bradford had to do once or twice a game is pull the ball back and wander around end. No one pays any attention to him.

That’s a moot point now. Bradford will miss Sunday’s contest vs. Tampa Bay, and maybe the Thanksgiving game in Detroit as well, nursing concussion symptoms and a separated left (non-throwing) shoulder.

Welcome to ‘The Sanchize, the Sequel.’

For some reason, I think the Eagles rally around Sanchez. He looked sharp when he came on for Bradford, if he could just stop tripping over DeMarco Murray.

The Eagles defense should be able to contain rookie QB Jameis Winston.

It won’t be pretty, but it should be a win. And yes, I realize that makes 10 straight weeks I have picked the Birds.

If the Eagles lose Sunday, their season could be in jeopardy of going down the tubes. I don’t think that will happen.

The Pick: Make it Eagles 17, Buccaneers 16. Get ready, Caleb Sturgis. You will win this one, booting a 43-yard field goal as time expires. At least I hope so. Please don’t tell me he misses it.

Last Week: The Eagles came out on fire, then watched a 16-3 lead slip away, while Sam Bradford, who had very good first half, went down in the third quarter.

Season Record: 4-5. Yeah, I didn’t expect this either, not for my prognostications and certainly not for this time. They’ve been a disappointment. And yet, with a win today, they could take the lead in the NFC Least. Hard to believe.

Game by Game: Falcons 26, Eagles 24. (My Pick: Eagles 37, Falcons 26)

Cowboys 20, Eagles 10 (My Pick: Eagles 31, Cowboys 26)

Eagles 24, Jets 17. (My Pick: Eagles 27, Jets 23)

Redskins 23, Eagles 20. (My Pick: Eagles 26, Redskins 13)

Eagles 39, Saints 17. (My Pick: Eagles 23, Saints 13)

Eagles 27, Giants 7. (My Pick: Eagles 27, Giants 16)

Panthers 27, Eagles 16 (My Pick: Eagles 26, Panthers 23)

Eagles 33, Cowboys 27 OT (My Pick: Eagles 23, Cowboys 13)

Dolphins 20, Eagles 19 (My Pick: Eagles 33, Dolphins 16)

Comments