The greatest moment in Philadelphia sports history

I refer to is as the single greatest moment in Philadelphia sports.

I was reminded of it when I watched the ESPN '30 on 30' piece on former Eagles owner Leonard Tose. I highly recommend it.

Columnist Jack McCaffery wrote about it yesterday.

As I watched it, I started to well up, as I do every time I think of that one specific moment in time.

I know the Flyers have won two Stanley Cups.

I know the Phillies have won World Series championships. As have the Sixers.

I attended the first Phillies parade in 1980.

But for me, nothing will ever compare with Jan. 11, 1981.

Maybe it was because I was there, a longtime season ticket holder in the infamous 700 Level.

It was as cold as I've ever been in my life.

And it was - in my humble opinion - the single greatest moment in Philadelphia sports history.

I can describe it in four simple words:

Wilbert off right tackle.

At that moment, we knew something we had not experienced in a long time. We were winners. If you there, you'll know why I consider it the apex of Philly sports.

The Eagles still have not delivered a Super Bowl title, let alone a parade.

But we'll always have this one moment.

It was electric. Just listen to it:

Comments