One more step on road to privatization of liquor sales in Pa.

Mike Turzai is moving up on my list of things that I'm thankful for this year.

Several months ago, the Republican state House Speaker sat in our conference room and all but guaranteed me that privatization of the state's antiquated liquor laws would be part of any budget deal with new Gov. Tom Wolf.

We're not there yet, but we're getting closer.

Yesterday the House passed a privatization bill. It would basically blow up the Liquor Control Board; selling off the 600 state stores and turning sales over to private enterprise.

That's the good news.

Now it goes over to the Senate.

Here's the bad news. If I had to place a bet, I would say this is going to be amended to death.

I think some version of privatization winds up a part of the final budget deal.

But I kind of doubt we're going to see the all-out privatization passed by the House yesterday.

But I will put it on top of my Christmas wish list.

Comments