A couple of days in the life of a newspaper editor

There are a lot of days when I don't much like being the editor of a daily newspaper and website.

I had another one of those earlier this week. Suffice it to say that the newspaper did something that did not sit especially well with a lot of readers. As usual, they were not shy about letting me know.

That sort of goes with the territory.

That is one of the reasons I write this blog. I like having discussions with readers about the news, and the decisions I make every day.

I made another decision this week that I was wondering about.

I decided, after the latest mass shooting to horrify the country, this time in San Bernardino, Calif., to lead the newspaper's front page instead with a story on the death of a volunteer firefighter here in Delaware County.

In the blog I asked readers for their opinions on my decision.

I was heartened by the responses, which were overwhelmingly in favor of my decision.

Here's a sampling:

"You did a great job as did Rose Quinn. Scott was the hero we all need right now and to help one of his favorite causes will just for a few moments let everyone feel a little bit like a hero too."

*

"I for one would like to thank you sincerely for giving Scott and his story the recognition and attention it deserves."

*

"Respect and admire that you appreciate a fellow neighbor bring light to our community and sell papers with out having to drop to the rest of society's sheepish flow. It was nice to view this instead of the horrible decisions and massive loss, Americans have to be reminded of on a daily basis."

*

"Damn straight that you made the right call Phil. This gentleman is the epitome of the heart and soul of Delco . It will be the Delco Cruisers honor to help the Jones family continue the legacy of Scott. He Spent hours helping us every year. We will honor him on Sunday at the holiday cruise for kids. Again our honor and pleasure." Tom Manning, President, Delco Cruisers.

*

"Respect and admire your appreciation of a fellow neighbor and not any outside publicity just to sell a paper."

*

"Perfect choice. Enough said."

*

"It's nice to see that a choice for the good was made. If we focus on the positive and not allow the radicals in this world to get front page coverage, maybe this world will change for the better. Don't make the negative front and center, stick to the positive and things will move in that direction."

*

Perfect call! #classact

*

I totally agree! It's a Delco paper. Local news first!

*

"Yes you did make the right call, this is one of our own who has done a lot of good for our community and our nation. You are the Delco paper. We can't forget about innocent people who had to die for some reason unknown at this time. Let the world papers handle that or USA Today."

Comments