New holiday decoration has 'em seeing stars

My wife and I put up the bulk of our Christmas decorations this weekend. Actually, to be honest, she put up the decorations; I followed directions.

She has some very definite ideas on how she wants her house to look for the holidays. It's something we share. I inherited my Christmas traditions from my mother. Luckily, for the most part, my wife and I are on the same page. There is usually a clear white light in each window, a spotlight on the door.

I think it's one of the few things my wife and my mother agreed on, so I consider myself lucky. That is not to say we did not have our disagreements as we went about this annual holiday task, doing the indoors on Saturday and the outdoors on Sunday. In fact, that is part of the tradition.

But I have to admit there is a new threat to my notion of the serene holiday decorations. I first noticed it on a house in our neighborhood. With Thanksgiving in the rear-view mirror and more and more people putting up their displays (and yes, I gave up that fight about it being too early to decorate years ago), I noticed some new-fangled lights that I have to admit I really like.

I've always been a clear white light and spotlight guy. Blame my mother. She's the one who drilled that into me.

But as we drove into the development Saturday night, both my wife and I were mesmerized by a light display on a house that is one of the first you see when you drive into neighborhood.

I'm not even sure what it is called so I will try to explain it. It looks like it somehow projects dozens of tiny stars in multi-colors on the portion of the house where the light is directed. It looks like a standard spotlight that is planted in the yard, but it manages this great, colorful display. The entire front of this house was coated with these stars.

I thought it looked great.

I included a photo of something called the Star Shower that I found online.

Now this week, as I make the drive both into the office and then back home at night, I am noticing more and more houses with this type of display.

Anybody know what exactly this gadget is called.

It gets a serious thumb's up from me.

Comments

DrSal said…
The item that you have here - Star Shower - is the one. We picked up four of them this weekend to give our holiday light display a fresh look. Really looks great. Lights look cool shining through into our foyer at night, too.
Franny Ward said…
They have them in stock at Toys"R"Us
103 East Swedesford Rd, Exton
(610) 524-8699.

Pretty cool. Thanks for the blog post Phil.
Anonymous said…
Lovin'ours,like fairyland!!