The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick

It might be time for the Eagles to put the wagons in a circle. That would likely make it easier for them should they continue to take shots at each other.

Players are now questioning the coach. The coaches are taking exception to the players’ comments.

Effort and accountability are being questioned.

This team has all the earmarks of a squad coming apart at the seams.

They got blown out again in Detroit on Thanksgiving Day. That makes three ugly losses in a row against teams they were expected to beat. Instead of taking control of the NFC Least, they are instead somehow hanging on by the thumbs, just one game back of the Redskins.

Unfortunately, they have to try to turn their season around in New England against the Patriots and Tom Brady. The good news is that Brady will likely be without several of his favorite weapons, including tight end Rob Gronkowski. I don’t think it will matter much.

The Birds do get starting quarterback Sam Bradford back. But if Chip Kelly insists on running the same system that has proved only that he does not have the personnel to run it, I don’t think it will make a lot of difference. Ryan Mathews is still out. DeMarco Murray looks likely to get the bulk of the runs, again likely out of that pale imitation of the read-option. Yeah, Sam is going to tuck that ball away and go around the corner one of these plays, right?

Uh, no.

The Eagles have been a disaster on defense, in particular right up the gut, especially their two inside linebackers. If they don’t manage somehow to get pressure on Brady, this one could get ugly early.

It’s usually in cases like this that the NFL pulls a boomerang and a team comes up with an unlikely upset.

I’ll be stunned if it’s this week, with this Eagles team

The Pick: Make it Patriots 33, Eagles 17. Don’t be surprised if Bradford doesn’t finish this game either. Something tells me that left shoulder is one solid hit from putting him back on the sidelines.

Last Week: The Eagles threw out a turkey on Thanksgiving Day, getting blown out in Detroit 45-14. They’ve spent much of the interim griping about the coaches and the fans. Not a recipe for the start of a comeback. You hate to say the word quit, but it sure looked like in the second half in Detroit.

Season Record: 5-6. That decision to go with my head instead of heart paid off in Detroit. It was the first week I went against the Birds, and it paid off. In the meantime, the Eagles fell to a dismal 4-7, yet still remain in the playoff hunt because of the abysmal nature of the NFC Least.

Game by Game: Falcons 26, Eagles 24. (My Pick: Eagles 37, Falcons 26)

Cowboys 20, Eagles 10 (My Pick: Eagles 31, Cowboys 26)

Eagles 24, Jets 17. (My Pick: Eagles 27, Jets 23)

Redskins 23, Eagles 20. (My Pick: Eagles 26, Redskins 13)

Eagles 39, Saints 17. (My Pick: Eagles 23, Saints 13)

Eagles 27, Giants 7. (My Pick: Eagles 27, Giants 16)

Panthers 27, Eagles 16 (My Pick: Eagles 26, Panthers 23)

Eagles 33, Cowboys 27 OT (My Pick: Eagles 23, Cowboys 13)

Dolphins 20, Eagles 19 (My Pick: Eagles 33, Dolphins 16)

Bucs 45, Eagles 17 (My Pick: Eagles 17, Buccaneers 16)

Lions 45, Eagles 14 (My Pick: Lions 23, Eagles 16)

Comments