A jarring start to the day

I use my daily commute to the office as a form of therapy.

In the morning, I am soothed by the routine. I flip back and forth between Big Daddy Graham on SportsRadio and my constant companion.

The world is tranquil at that hour. As I drive along in the morning darkness, before most of the world has started to stir, I brace myself for what lies ahead.

I was almost at the office Tuesday morning, when my sea of tranquility was shattered.

No, I didn't hit a deer.

But as I drove down Oak Avenue toward the railroad tracks in Primos, I saw a familiar - but unexpected sight. Flashing red lights. Lots of them.

They were congregated in the parking lot of the Giant supermarket. So were a lot of people.

Jarred from my reverie, I hustled into the office and of course jumped on Twitter to see what was up.

Turns out there was a fire at the store. I tweeted out the news and posted a brief on our website. It's called Breaking News.

It wasn't a big deal. A smoky little fire that was confined to one aisle.

However, the store was closed. By late afternoon, it had yet to open, so I had a reporter make some calls on when they might be open again. It's a busy spot and affects a lot of people in the area, both those who work there as well as shoppers.

As it turns out, police now believe the fire was set and they have made an arrest.

You can read about it here. The store reopened for business yesterday at 4 p.m.

Comments

F.Doyle Glenolden said…
I already read it before turning on the computer.