Relocating the Green Valley Motor Inn

As usual, my sense of geography was less than sterling.

Or maybe it was just the latest case of my addled memory failing me.

No shortage of readers pointed out a fairly glaring error in my Monday print column.

As I detailed some of my memories of the Blizzard of '96, coincidentally almost exactly 20 years previous to this weekend's massive Blizzard of 2016, I recounted how it was the only time in 33 years that I did not make it home.

Along with a few other hearty Daily Times employees, I holed up for two nights at the Green Valley Motor Inn up on Baltimore Pike.

But I indicated the Green Valley sat where the Best Buy is now.

Wrong!

That was the site of the legendary Alpine Inn.

The Green Valley was across the street from the Bazaar of All Nations, where the Saturn of Westbrook Park went in and which now is the AAA service center and Pa. Driver's License Center.

Most of the readers were pretty good-natured about pointing out my mistake, and to a person they agreed with me about winter. Enough already!

Still, I should have known better. Delco folks take the icons and landmarks - especially those that are no longer there - seriously. My apologies. Hey, it proves one thing. People are reading my column.

Thanks for all your replies.

Comments