Standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona

I've been in Arizona twice in my life.

Yes, I have peered into the Grand Canyon. It is as advertised, just breathtaking. I was amazed that every time a cloud went across the sun, the massive rock formations on the canyon walls seemed to look different. I could have stood there and stared at that scene for hours.

I also cherish two visits to what certainly has to be one of the most beautiful, idyllic cities in the United States. Sedona, with its massive red rock formations, is a gem.

Saguaro National Park, with its trademark large cactus plants, lived up to its reputation.

But there is one thing I always wanted to do that I was not able to do on those two visits.

I wanted to stand on a corner in Winslow, Arizona.

Yes, I am a big fan of the Eagles. The band, not the football team.

The day after the music world was stunned once again by the loss of a true superstar, Glenn Frey, the co-founder of the iconic band that put their imprint on the rock-country blend of Southern California pop, a lot of people decided to honor his memory in a most appropriate way.

They gathered on a corner in Winslow, Arizona.

If you don't get the reference, you're clearly not a music fan.

Frey penned the words in the Eagles' classic, 'Take it Easy.'

Well, I'm standing on a corner

in Winslow, Arizona,

such a fine sight to see.

It's a girl, my Lord,

in a flat-bed Ford,

slowing down to take a look at me.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard that song. And yes, every time I hear it, I sing along to that lyric.

I was not in Winslow, Arizona, yesterday. At least physically.

But I certainly was in my mind.

Take It Easy, Glenn.

Comments