The perils of the office Powerball pool

Yes, I have purchased a Powerball ticket. Well, actually I haven't. I'm in an office pool.

I don't expect to win. I normally don't play the lottery.

But here's the thing. I am in an office pool. Every time the jackpot zooms into the stratosphere, a co-worker collects money and buys the tickets. The Powerball jackpot, worth a cool $1.5 billion the last time I looked, has been rolling over for a few weeks now.

There is a fear factor here. Could I simply say 'no thanks.' Sure. Yes, I could plop that money into my 401-k and watch the market fritter it away.

But it is a roll of the dice that is pretty hard to deny.

Does anyone want to take the risk of the office pool actually hitting. How would you feel seeing your co-workers entering Nirvana knowing you were that close to being a millionaire.

It's a risk I'm not willing to take. So count me in. So long as the jackpot stays in this rarified atmosphere, I'll be forking money over to the office pool.

So who is going to put the paper out when we hit tonight?

To learn about how Delco is dealing with Powerball mania, check out today's story here.

Comments

I've got your point. I think it is not that bad experience. Surely the there can be some disappointment still it will hardly be devastating. I have similar experience. My boss offered to set a pool in the office to buy Powerball tickets, as many as possible. We won 100 bucks. I hoped that would be at least 50 grands, alas.