What an editor thinks about when a big storm hits

Our "Get-Out-Winter-Free Card" is about to expire.

I'm not one to hype the weather. It's not exactly a secret that I hate winter, and the cold, and in particular snow.

But at this point there isn't much avoiding it, we're going to take a hit this weekend.

I suppose it would not be out of the question that these forecasts could change. I'm not banking on it.

Right now the National Weather Service is calling for a foot of snow or more along the I-95 corridor.

This storm will be arriving from the south. Actually, Washington, D.C., Virginia and Maryland are in the bull's eye. They're going to get hit harder that we will.

The farther north you are, the more likely you will get slammed by this storm.

I suppose you could say that we are getting a break in that the storm is not expected to arrive until after the Friday night rush hour. The kids will be fine getting home from school. Everyone will be able make the commute from work. Then they can hunker down inside for a long, snowy winter weekend.

They don't work for a newspaper.

In case you have not turned on your TV, weather is big news. Especially when it snows. And in particular when they are calling for as much snow as we're looking at this weekend.

Technology actually has helped in this regard. I suppose I should stop cursing it. There was a time when we absolutely had to make it into the office in order to put out the newspaper. No more. All we need is power and access to the Internet. Everything we do is in the "Cloud" these days.

Reporters and photographers will still have to head out into the elements to record what is going on, but we can actually post the information online, and put the print edition together anywhere.

Do not mistake that for me liking any of this - even for a second.

I have enough stress in my life. Snow does not help.

So what does an editor think about in these situations? No, I'm not talking about people jamming the supermarket to buy bread, milk and eggs.

Instead, I'm wondering if anybody has a wedding planned for Saturday? If you do, we'd love to talk to you about what you plan to do. Any expectant moms out there? If you're due this weekend, we'd love to know how you're holding up.

Also, several local schools are offering the SAT exams on Saturday. I wonder if they will go ahead as planned.

I think about guys manning the plows, and how long they will be working on Saturday. And of course the landscape guys who moonlight in the winter plowing parking lots and other spots. They haven't had a lot to do so far this winter. Their ship is about to come in.

No doubt there will be some brave folks who get stranded out in the snow and cold. We'll be looking for them as well. If you have an idea for a story, contact me at editor@delcotimes.com.

We'll get through this. And, much as we did after the great 30-inch Blizzard of '96, we'll talk about it for years.

Just one thing. Is it too late to take the next flight for Key West?

Comments