A close encounter on Providence Road

I've gotten pretty used to having close encounters with the critters on my early-morning commute along Providence Road between West Chester Pike and Rose Tree Park.

But this morning was something else altogether.

As I came to a stop at the stop sign at Bishop Hollow Road, I was greeted by a rather friendly fellow.

It was a deer, apparently content to much on something on the stone wall at that corner.

Usually you get a head's up that deer are out there by the distinctive gleam when your headlights hit their eyes. But this guy had his head away from the light, so I never saw him.

I came to a stop and then glanced to my right. There in the passenger-side window was this huge deer head. It almost scared me to death.

He never flinched as I pulled up. Usually that's the danger with deer, they wait until the last second, then leap right in front of you. This guy also was by himself, usually they run in packs. Take this bit of advice from someone who has been dodging deer for years.

If you see one cross the road ahead of you, hit the brakes. Guaranteed there are three or four trailing behind.

Not this guy, he wasn't going anywhere.

There is very little room between the side of the road and the rock wall at this intersection, so he was standing there looking at me and I was staring at him.

He had a look on his face that said, "What are you looking at?" It's as if I was intruding on his snack, and I probably was.

I pulled through the intersection and then looked back in the rear-view mirror. He still hadn't budged. Whatever it was he was snacking on must have been good.

Comments