Forget the report from the roads; I can't get out of the driveway

Forget about a report from the roads.

This morning I couldn't even get to the car.

One look out the window when I got up gave me an inkling of what Mother Nature had in store for me. I could see that deadly 'sheen' coming off everything reflected in the light from the lightpost in our front yard.

Luckily, I was forewarned.

I went very gingerly out the front door - and it's a good thing.

One step onto the walkway told me this was going to be a challenge. Basically, everything out there is now covered in ice.

I basically had to walk in the yard - on the snow - to get any traction at all.

Our driveway has a slight incline as it goes up to the street. Most days I don't even think about it. Not in winter. And especially not on a day like today.

Every time I took another step toward the car, I started to slide back down the driveway.

Finally, with one foot in the snow, I managed to get to the car.

Next problem, getting the car door open. They were frozen shut. I managed to dump my bag and laptop in the back seat, then gingerly try to get into the front seat.

I turned on the car and defrost, then considered my options in trying to get back out to at least attempt to clean off the windshield.

That in itself was a project, unable to get any kind of solid footing, I was left to hack away at the ice on the windshield.

All the while in the back of my head I was thinking about how I was going to back out of the driveway.

I shouldn't have bothered. I had no chance.

I put the car in reverse and gingerly stepped on the gas.

After an initial lurch backward, I heard that familiar sound of winter, the front tires on my car spinning. I was going nowhere.

After a few more attempts, I realized this wasn't going to work.

Right now my car is resting against the back bumper of my wife's.

So the bottom line is I have no idea what the roads are like. I can report, however, that my driveway is treacherous. I'll give it another try a little later after the thaw settles in.

They say we are supposed to hit the 50s later today.

It can't happen soon enough.

Have I mentioned that I gave up cursing for Lent? And that I hate winter.

I supposed I should give thanks for the technology that allows me to work from home. Then again, what fun would that be?

Consider yourself warned. Your biggest challenge this morning might be getting to your car.

It was for me.

Comments