Yo, Sly, what happened?

Sunday afternoon I was joking with my wife - who has a severe distaste for the pomp and pomposity of the Academy Awards - that if Sylvester Stallone won for best supporting actor, I knew what he should say when he took to the stage:

"Yo, Adrian, I did it."

Never mind. Stallone, who just about everyone was saying was one of this year's locks to take home an Oscar, got KO'd by Mark Rylance for his work in "Bridge of Spies."

Not that it mattered much to me.

I thought maybe since Best Supporting Actor is always one of the first awards handed out, I might make it to see a great moment involving one of Philly's favorite sons, nominated for his work in "Creed."

Didn't happen. I was long gone by then.

Actually, this year was novel for me in another way.

For years, I would look at the Best Picture nominees and once again realize I have no life. In other words, most years I have not seen any of the nominated flicks.

Not this year.

In fact, I actually has seen two of them, "Spotlight" and "The Big Short."

Both were excellent. Of course, I had a soft spot in my heart for "Spotlight" because it deals with journalism.

"About three hours after I slide off into my nightly coma, "Spotlight" won the Academy Award for Best Picture.

I have written about my reaction to "Spotlight" before. It made me at the same time happy and sad.

You can read that column here.

The business has changed just a bit since the setting of this film, in 2001.

And not necessarily for the better. These are very tough times for the newspaper industry.

"Spotlight" is an example of the kind of thing we're in danger of losing.

Comments