End of the line for Edgmont Country Club

The Delco icons continue to fall.

Granite Run Mall soon will join the memories of the Bazaar of All Nations, shopping meccas that are no longer there.

This weekend the faithful gathered to say goodbye to another remarkable Delco locale.

Every day for 34 years, I have driven to work past the gorgeous vista of Edgmont Country Club.

Nestled right up against Ridley Creek State Park, it is the perfect spot for a golf course.

And for more than half a century, those 190 acres have made my drive to work just a little nicer.

I have attended many events at Edgmont Country Club, but never actually played the course. When I'm not thinking about news and newspapers, it's a pretty good bet I'm thinking about golf. I am what they call an addict. Given that you'd think I play a lot more than I actually do. I don't. Golf takes time, something I don't have a lot of these days.

Oddly enough, much like newspapers, these are not the best of days for golf courses and country clubs either.

Many are going out of business, or going public in an attempt to lure new members.

Edgmont won't be that lucky.

It will soon be turned into a housing development.

But not before the faithful turned out this weekend to say goodbye, share memories and swap stories on this legendary track along Route 3.

We decided to stop by and talk to those who will miss the course, the club, and the wonderful people who worked there.

You can read the story here.

Comments