RIP Granite Run Mall

It's not every day you get to see history disappear right in front of your eyes.

Every night on the ride home, I drive past the Granite Run Mall.

Don't ask me why, but for some reason in the morning I drive all the way down West Chester Pike to where the old Dairy Queen used to be, hang a right on Providence Road, and then make my way to the Media Route 1 Bypass.

At night I change the route, I take the Bypass out to Granite Run and then get up on Route 352. That takes me right past what used to be the J.C. Penney's store.

We've been chronicling the slow, arduous process as the mall converts to what eventually will be a town-center style development. Boscov's and Sears will remain.

I figured a few weeks back when the fencing went up that things were about to get serious.

Still, I was not really prepared for what I saw this week. It was hard to see that old facade come down, literally brick by brick. In a way, it's more painful, as opposed to what they did to the Spectrum and other great local sites that share a special place in our memory.

What is happening at Granite is more like a slow, agonizing death. Here's our latest story on the demolition.

The facade seems to be coming down brick by brick.

Last night the interior of Penney's was exposed for all to see.

Farewell, Granite Run.

We'll always have the memories.

Comments