My suggestion for a new state slogan

My one-man campaign to get Pennsylvania out of the booze business, blow up the state stores, and turn that entire operation over to private enterprise continues to spin its wheels.

Yes, I am the state's leading proponent of allowing Total Wine or some other private entity dip their feet into the waters of Pennsylvania's alcohol biz. I want to be able to grab a six-pack at Wawa. I'd love to be able to pick up a bottle of wine for dinner while I'm getting my groceries, although I don't want to have to do it in a separate part of the store. I'd like to do what people in most sane states do, put a bottle of wine or case of beer in my cart with the rest of the groceries.

Yes, I know, I'm dreaming. This is Pennsylvania, after all.

So instead I embark today on a new mission: I'd like to suggest a new state slogan:

"Welcome to Pennsylvania, world's worst weather, 365 days a year."

Granted, I'm picking the wrong day to do this. It's going to be gorgeous today, with lots of sun and highs in the mid-70s. Don't get too excited. The rain is coming back, just in time to drench our Saturday.

Yes, it's been a wet, miserable spring. It's enough to drive a man to drink. Which means, of course, that he has to drive to a state store first.

Swell. Or should that be swill?

Comments