The devastating effect of delivering bad news

I used my print column this week to talk about something I'm all too familiar with.

That would be delivering bad news. It sort of goes with the occupation.

But I learned very early in my journalism career that receiving that kind of news can be devastating. I was reminded of that this week by a photo that was posted by the fire company in my old home town of Oxford, Pa.

Being aware of just how devastating getting bad news can be is something I've tried to be cognizant of throughout the last three decades and change in the newspaper business.

I'm sure there are lots of people who doubt that, many of them having been featured in the pages of this newspaper.

Like I said, it's part of the business.

You can read my Monday column here.

Comments