Weighing the good & bad in the news

Every day I struggle with a common theme. It is this notion of "good news" vs. "bad news."

It's probably the question I get asked more often than any other.

Readers always want to know why there is so much bad news in the paper.

I try to bite my tongue and not answer in the plainest way possible: That's what people read.

It's true. There is a mechanism on our website at DelcoTimes.com that tells us which stories on the site are drawing the most eyeballs. Crime rules almost every day.

That does not mean there is not a lot of good news in the paper as well. Every day we list tons of community events.

But I understand why some readers feel we are portraying a negative view of life here in Delaware County.

I got that feeling again recently when we reported an incident that occurred at Monsignor Bonner & Archbishop Prendergast High School.

But it was a phone call from a reader that made me look at the story in the different way.

I used it as the basis for this week's print column, my Letter from the Editor.

Comments