Another suspect from Delco

It sort of goes with the job.

Every time there is a big breaking story in the region, I find myself looking for a Delco angle, something that links the story to our piece of turf here along Baltimore Pike, the Blue Route, and I-95.

Sometimes, being the cynic that I am, I get ahead of myself.

That guy who is suspected of throwing a beer bottle at Phillies slugger Ryan Howard? There's been a lot of conjecture that he is from Delaware County. He still has not been identified, although the team said they do believe that he is the man in a photo that was widely circulated on social media.

A Delco guy? We'll see, but I'd be lying if I said I would be surprised.

That's why I can admit that yes, when I heard of the road-rage incident that took place on I-95 in South Philly, I muttered to myself, "What do you think the chances are that this guy is from Delco."

Yesterday I found out.

A man from Upper Chichester now faces charges in the incident. It sounds like it started as one driver tailgating another. It escalated from there. Words were exchanged. Then, according to police, one driver pulled up beside the other, brandished a gun, and fired a shot at the other car. The bullet took out a tire. The other driver managed to pull off to the side of the road, while the suspect took the Broad Street exit and fled the scene.

I also can admit that flare-ups behind the wheel are one of my less admirable traits. I would probably be classified as an 'aggressive' driver, at least that's what my wife is always telling, as she urges me to slow down or chides me for following too closely.

I've been known to use some fairly colorful language behind the wheel. That probably will not come as a great surprise to anyone here in the Daily Times offices, where my outbursts are all too well known. It's not something I'm especially proud of.

If you see a guy behind you in a white Honda flailing his arms, at least you'll have a pretty good idea who it is.

Thankfully, I don't own a gun, let alone have one in the car.

I'm pretty harmless.

I wish all such confrontations were. I am guessing that gentleman from Upper Chi is feeling the same way today.

Comments