Fletcher Cox hits the jackpot

I am trying to come to grips with the notion of going to sleep one night, and waking up the next morning $63 million richer. Forget Powerball.

Of course, it helps if you are one of the premier defensive linemen in the NFL.

I happen to stand 5 feet, 11 inches tall and weight maybe 145 pounds. The NFL is not knocking down my door.

Fletcher Cox and the Eagles reached an agreement on a contract extension yesterday, and it's an eye-opener.

The Birds are giving Cox the biggest signing bonus ever offered to a non-quarterback in the NFL.

That's right.

Ever.

The six-year deal is worth $103 million, $63 million of which is guaranteed.

There is not a lot in my life that is guaranteed. Other than deadlines.

I long ago stopped complaining about the money that athletes make.

I'm not paying him; Jeffrey Lurie is.

I no longer am a season ticket holder, so I'm not paying those ridiculous ticket, parking and concession prices that bankroll the money-making blockbuster that is usually referred to as the NFL.

Any time somebody asks me how someone can possibly make that much money for playing a kids' game, I have a simple answer.

Because they can.

It's called capitalism. Free Enterprise.

Fletcher Cox was already rich, now he's rich beyond comprehension.

I don't have a problem with it.

I ask him to do just one thing.

Win.

Al Davis was right.

This is not high school. Or even college.

This is the NFL, which as Jerry Glanville once famously remarked to a young official whose call he was questioning, stands for "Not For Long."

Athletes have a very small window to make their money.

I don't blame Fletcher Cox a bit.

Is he worth it? I doubt anyone is.

That doesn't matter. He got the money because he could. Because Jeff Lurie could.

That's the way the system works.

Comments