When will we take action?

I noted earlier this week the single word that stuck in my mind in the hours after learning of the latest mass shooting in Orlando.

It graced Monday's front page.

Again.

Yes, it's happened again.

But in the days since, I've been struggling with another thought.

When will it happen again?

I'm fairly certain we're talking about when, not if.

In the meantime, we sit and wonder when our elected leaders will take some kind of action to make our lives safer.

This is not an attack on the Second Amendment. I have no interest in taking away people's guns.

But I do have trouble understanding why a private citizen needs a rifle such as the AR-15, which has become the weapon of choice for those seeking to inflict mayhem on us.

I was moved this week by the words of the mother of one of the students was killed in the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School. She offered her condolences to the families of the victims in Orlando.

She also noted that if the slaughter of innocents in a New England school will not move the country to action, nothing will.

I think she's right.

And I think the evil that happened in Orlando last Saturday night only proves the point.

There will be a vigil held on the steps of the Media Courthouse to honor the victims of the Orlando shooting tonight.

The event, cop-spoonsored by the Unitarian Universalist Church of Delaware County and Delaware County United for Sensible Gun Policy, will take place 5:30-6:30 p.m. and will include a "die-ini" on the courthouse lawn and reading of the 49 names of those slain in Orlando.

Comments