Worst road in Delco? I nominate the Providence Road obstacle course

When it comes to the worst roads in Delaware County in terms of potholes and the general condition of the road, there are no shortage of candidates.

I have one of my own.

Every morning (don't ask when, it's an ungodly hour) I take Providence Road to cut across from West Chester Pike in Edgmont over the Rose Tree Park where it hooks up with Route 252, where I can jump on the Media Bypass.

It's pretty lonely at that hour.

Just me.

And the deer.

And the potholes.

And the ruts.

It's a mess. It happens every spring. Once winter thaws the road just goes to hell. I'm surprised I haven't been pulled over for DUI since I spend most of the commute zigging and zagging across both lanes in a usually fruitless attempt to miss the worst potholes.

Apparently I am not alone in my disdain for the road.

But I love the way one clearly frustrated driver decided to express his or her opinion.

As you head up the hill from the Canter Drive, clearly spray-painted in white paint on the road is this message:

PAVE THE ROAD.

It looks like the artist may have struck a nerve.

It appears some patching of the road has taken place.

It still has a long way to go.

Yes, that's me officer, swerving all over the road.

No, I have not had anything to drink.

But this road is enough to 'drive' you to the bottle.

Comments