A sure sign that summer is waning

59.

No, that was not my most recent golf score. (Not even for the front 9!)

That was what the thermometer in my car read when I climbed behind the wheel this morning.

Once I headed out onto the road for the drive to the office, it actually dipped to 53.

No doubt a lot of people are rejoicing at the end of our heat wave and the oppressive, thick air that clung to the region for more than a week.

Don't count me among them.

I actually like that kind of weather. Don't hate me, but the thicker the air, the more I like it.

It's conducive to one of my favorite things to do. Sit.

Of course, I usually have a newspaper or a book in my hand. OK, these days that could even include a phone.

I take my outdoor sitting pretty seriously. I have a series of outdoor spots arranged that allow me the choice of being in the sun or not. That's a small concession to my dermatologist, who, aware of a family history of skin cancer, takes one look at my face and grimaces. It's not the latest outbreak of zits (I'm going to be 61 in two weeks, I know my face is going to clear up any week now).

It's the effects of the sun.

"Nice tan," he grimaces, following up by again urging me to at least use sunscreen.

I do.

But I have no intention of giving up my summer pursuit.

Unless, of course, like last night. When I noticed something distinctly different when I got home.

A chill in the air.

The first thing I do when I get home (aside from stuffing my hand into the biggest bag of potato chips I can find), is get out of my shirt and tie, toss on a favorite pair of shorts, don my newly acquired University of Colorado T-shirt, and head outside. The hotter the better.

Humidity? Bring it on.

Last night was like a cold slap in the face.

Not only did it remind me that the heat wave was over, it foretold of something far more serious. Summer's days are numbered. Soon the kids will be back in school. The Eagles will be playing. I've already noticed it getting darker much earlier. I long for the days when there was still a sliver of light after 9 o'clock. Now I struggle to read outside a little after eight.

I call it the autumn creep. It's started.

So I will not join the TV newscasters who this morning are salivating over this cool break in the weather.

Thankfully, it's supposed to heat up again this week.

You can catch the full forecast here.

Am I the only one who loves humidity?

Let me know what you think.

Comments