Colin Kaepernick's stand

Colin Kaepernick has decided to make a stand.

By sitting down.

Kaepernick has indicated he will remain seated as "The National Anthem" plays before San Francisco 49ers games because of the oppression people of color face in the United States.

That is certainly his right.

He certainly is right to bring up an important issue facing the country.

And he is well within his First Amendment rights.

But I don't have to like it.

I don't.

I don't agree with his stance.

But I will defend his right to make it.

That right is the same First Amendment right that gives us the ability to print this newspaper, and for you to post comments on Facebook and Twitter.

To be honest, I don't go to Colin Kaepernick for his take on the important social issues facing the country.

He is paid millions of dollars to play quarterback in the NFL.

There are not a lot of people who have the talent to do that. It is a very small fraternity of elite athletes.

Having that status too often gives these unique individuals the delusion that anyone should care what they think about other issues.

It is part of the celebrity status that we are in love with in this nation.

It is why I sat here at my desk week after week and said to myself about the Republican candidate for president: "They're not really going to do this are they?"

Yes, they did.

Being a millionaire real estate developer and reality TV host now counts as part of the resume of commander-in-chief.

So why are we surprised that we pay attention to everything the Kardashian family does.

Or that we now look to an NFL quarterback for advice on important social issues.

In a way I admire Kaepernick. I'm sure he must have known what we was setting himself up for. And yet he took a stand.

Good for him.

But I'd be lying if I said I was not more interested in whether or not he's going to be the starting QB for the Niners this year. And yes, also that it kind of delights me that this controversy falls into the lap of new coach Chip Kelly.

The Chipper was not the biggest fan of the media.

He must love Kaepernick these days.

Comments