Oh, deer!

You've been warned.

The critters are back. Actually, they've proabably never left, but this morning they seemed to be hiding behind every tree and bush.

I am talking, of course, about my early-morning friends, the deer who seem to mock me as I negotiate my car along the roads, always with one eye out for that distinctive glint off their eyes in the distance, the tell-tale sign that another herd lies ahead.

This morning I spotted no fewer than seven or eight deer, including the fellow who stood in the middle of the road wondering why I was intruding on his domain.

Maybe it was that sudden shift to cooler temperatures that brought them out, munching on anything they can reach along the side of the road.

Here's a tip from a veteran deer swerver. If you happen to see a deer dart across the road out in front of you, don't relax and think you've managed to avoid another collision. Hit the brakes and prepare to stop. I can guarantee you several more will be following their pal - and running right in front of you if you don't slow down.

Be careful out there.

Comments