Rocky Mountain High

This is a job for state Sen. Daylin Leach.

After spending a week in Colorado, I think I now know the answer to Pennsylvania's perpetual revenue dilemma.

Gov. Tom Wolf and Democrats want to spend more money on education.

Republicans who control the House and Senate don't want to hike taxes. They've rejected Wolf's calls for increases in the state sales and personal income levies, as well as new taxes on the state's natural gas business.

I have the answer.

Pot.

No, I haven't been smoking it.

But I have seen first-hand how Colorado is taking full advantage of their new "cash crop."

They've legalized possession of small amounts of marijuana, they regulate it - and tax it.

And now they're raking in the profits.

As it turns out, Leach, the Main Line Democrat who represents parts of Haverford in the 17th District, and who pushed through the medical marijuana legislation, already has a bill to legalize pot in Pa.

That's not the only difference I noticed between Colorado and Pennsylvania. I review some of them in my weekly print column.

Comments