A message from the president of the Sam Bradford Fan Club

And now a message from the president of the Sam Bradford Fan club.

Huh?

Well, I can admit that I am stunned. But I probably shouldn't be.

On Friday, our intrepid Eagles reporter Bob Grotz stopped in the office and I joked with him that I was surprised the Vikings had not reached out to the Eagles. They had just seen their potential Super Bowl season crumple - along with Teddy Bridgewater's knee. I thought they might have an interest in Chase Daniel.

Little did I know.

Unfortunately, for much of Saturday, I was out of the online loop. So when I finally picked up my phone and checked Twitter, I was stunned to see news that the Eagles had traded Sam Bradford the week before opening day.

So taken aback was I that I of course immediately started posting on Twitter about the deal. I had the misfortune to label the deal "Breaking News."

Uh, yeah, maybe when it happened at noon, not so much at 4:30, when I was finally jumping into the fray. I was rightly harpooned by several Twitter followers.

None of which makes what the Eagles did any less staggering. Bradford had another very good preseason and seemed poised to put all those knee ailments behind him, entering a season fully healthy. He will now do that in Vikings' purple as opposed to Eagles green.

I will tell you that I don't like this deal. But I understand it. The writing has been on the wall for Bradford and the Eagles ever since Howie Roseman rolled the dice and sent all those draft picks to the Cleveland Browns (who just happen to be the Linc next Sunday to kick off the season) in order to move up to the No. 2 pick in the draft and select Wentz as the future of the franchise.

Bradford was not happy and indicated he would like a trade, despite the Eagles' saying he would be their starter this year.

That did not change - right up until the moment Bridgewater's knee exploded.

Roseman exacted a high price from the Vikings. And yes, I think it more than a bit ironic that days after the NFL holds a press conference to say the NFL Draft will be held on the Ben Franklin Parkway next spring on a year when the Eagles do not have a 1st round pick that - voila! - a 1st round pick falls into their laps.

So now what.

Couple of things: First and foremost, I can assure you I no interest in watching Chase Daniel. If Carson Wentz's ribs are healed, he needs to play. Starting this Sunday.

I thought the Eagles were going to win the division with Bradford at QB. That's not going to happen now, even in a decidedly weak NFC East, one where Tony Romo is on the shelf once again. I see the Eagles now as a five- or six-win team. Maybe Wentz will surprise all of us. I kind of doubt it.

And finally, you heard it there first. The Minnesota Vikings win a Super Bowl with a certain No. 7 behind center. The Vikings are a very talented team. They were primed for a Super Bowl run with Bridgewater at QB, I don't see that changing with Bradford at the helm. All bets are off, of course, if Bradford's knee suffers the same fate as Bridgewater's.

Bottom line Howie Roseman had to do this deal. He basically got a first-round pick for a QB who was not really in their future plans anyhow.

Give Roseman credit. He has remade the roster Chip Kelly destroyed in a matter of months.

We're about to find out if these guys can play. The defense will be very good. The offense? Without Bradford? We'll see.

Comments