A prime-time stage for Eagles

The Eagles will make an appearance on national TV tonight.

Which of course means something a prime-time spotlight on Carson Wentz and the Birds.

I know a lot of people enjoy this kind of national prominence.

I hate it.

And this year there is a new reason for me to dislike the Eagles' latest foray onto the national stage.

First, in case you haven't noticed, these games wreak havoc with deadlines. They usually are wrapping up just as our nightly deadline looms.

Second, and for me this is especially painful to admit, the truth is my days of watching prime time football have been over for quite awhile. My best hope tonight is to catch maybe a quarter of the action before I slide off into that coma that awaits me most nights.

I work a very early schedule, something that is not conducive to late night football, or any other kind of TV event.

A lifetime ago, back when I was a proud Eagles season ticket holder and loyal resident of the 700 Level at The Vet, I once remember going straight to work after a Monday night game. Suffice it to say those days are over.

Finally, there is another reason for me to be turned off by tonight's game.

Given that the national spotlight will fall on Soldier Field as the Birds prepare to play the Bears, of course that means what has become the calling card of the NFL this year.

Some Eagles are planning some kind of demonstration before the game during the playing of the National Anthem.

It's been in vogue to do this kind of thing ever since 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick decided to sit down during the Star Spangled Banner in the preseason. Now he's taking to kneeling, often joined by other players.

Apparently the Eagles will join the list of those making a statement tonight.

Safety Malcolm Jenkins has said the team is planning to do something. Coach Doug Pederson supports the effort and says he may even join in if the entire team is involved.

I have no problem with it. That is entirely within their rights of freedom of speech and expression.

But I don't need to be bombarded the entire pregame about it, nor treated to photos and video of the players sitting, kneeling, holding hands or anything else.

I come to these games to escape life's other struggles, not be engulfed in them.

If that makes me short-sighted, or if you want to say I am turning a blind eye to the problems of society. There are not shortage of avenues to get your point across.

Players have decided to make a point. Fine. Knock yourselves out.

Just one note of caution.

As any Philly fan will tell you, that plays a lot better when you win.

If the Eagles falter, they will get torched for that and any type of protest they take part in. But if they win, no one will care about the protest.

One other thing, if they do happen to beat Da Bears, running their record to 2-0, look for Wentz Mania to hit a fever pitch tomorrow, leading the Birds into a cross-state showdown with the 2-0 Steelers. Wentzylvania will reign supreme.

By the way, The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick thinks the Eagles are going to be 2-0 when this games ends, hopefully before midnight.

Comments