Congratulations, Tavia!

I have a confession to make.

I still get a kick out of a great front page.

Yes, I know, print is not 'hip.' We're supposed to be all about online these days. And I am. I spend an inordinate amount of time shoveling information onto our website, as well as social media such as Twitter and Facebook, feeding the beast that is the 24-hour news cycle.

But I still love the feel of print. And a dynamite front page.

And today's is one of my favorite front pages of the year.

For a couple of reasons.

The second I heard yesterday morning that our little dynamo, 12 year-old chef Tavia Isaac had won the top prize on the Food Network show 'Chopped Jr.,' I knew I wanted that beautiful, smiling countenance on our front page.

But I'm also willing to admit there was another reason as well.

Tavia Isaac resides in Chester.

I think it's fair to say there are more than a few people who believe part of Chester's image problem stems from the way it is often presented in the county's daily newspaper.

I certainly understand their concerns. I'm the guy who answers the phones when they call to complain about our coverage.

I'm hoping I get a few calls today.

But the truth is I don't really care if I do or not.

Tavia Isaac is a great story. She is proof that a lot of good things are happening in the city of Chester. And that some of those good things are being done by young people. It's a great front page.

And we're proud of it. And Tavia.

You go, girl.

Comments